Thursday, January 24, 2008

High Speed "N scale" Southern Pacific GP 38 dummy...


Photobucket


Too many of these show up on Ebay to ignore so I figure I'll put a post in pointing them out in the hopes that it will save some newcomers some grief.

---THESE ARE NOT "DUMMY" OR "NON-POWERED" MODELS--- These are, at best, caricatures of locomotives and equipment given out by Reader's Digest as a premium for subscriptions. They have poor rolling and tracking ability, the trucks do not swivel well and the couplers do not and cannot ever operate. I know of one that was repowered and that with extensive reworking beyond the abilities of most newcomers.

I picked up all six cars and this engine for $.50 at a yard sale in their original boxes and with the pens that came with them for the express purpose of showing them to newcomers and to let them decide for themselves without getting burned on their own.

Photobucket

Photobucket


These HO scale trolleys are another Reader's Digest promotional item. The good news about these is that they are based on Bachmann models and can be fairly easily modified to run on Bachmann mechanisms from the same type trolley. They make great scale push around toys to give you an idea about your child's model handling ability and maturity. I always kept mine with my other model trains so that they could "play with Daddy's trains" without harming one of my other models. In time the green one will make it to my model bench to be turned into a model of a produce stand that stood near my house as a child.

No comments: