Monday, February 11, 2008

O.S. FP Max .40 model airplane engine...


I finally cobbled together a mount for my model airplane engine. I found that there is a whole hobby devoted to just running this engines on a test stand, especially in Europe. Because that fit well with a low budget, I mounted this engine to a combination test/display stand I built out of scrap wood and hardware.

I made it attractive (in a Rube Goldberg sort of way) so that it would look good as a display stand but able to take being clamped to a picnic table and fired up without worrying about the finish getting messed up. The fuel tank still has to be finished. It is a tomato sauce can---yup, still full---that I am going to solder inlet/outlet pipes and a filler cap to. The throttle is a push pin head on a brass rod. I used scrap 1/2" copper pipe buffed on a wire wheel for the finish. Four carriage bolts hold it all tight. A simple electrical system is in the works.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: