Monday, June 18, 2018

David Cassidy/Keith Partridge tribute railbus, version 2.0

Can't say that I didn't have a serious crush on Susan Dey back when that show was on. I remember many an episode watched in the basement of childhood friends' house, along with 'The Brady Bunch' (Maureen McCormick, meh...Eve Plumb, swoon), and, of all things, 'The Night Stalker'. When I heard of David Cassidy's passing, my own mortality came to the fore. I hope my last words won't be ones of regret, that even my "wasted time" can have some redeeming quality in it.

I was about half way thru this project when he passed, so it became something of a tribute to a more innocent--though still very sin filled--time 45 years ago. My original version 1.0 used a Bachmann cable car mechanism. On this one, I used the mechanism from an Aurora 'Thunderjet' slot car, Intermountain 36" wheelsets, and some brass bar stock I have on hand, and a Johnny Lightning Partridge Family bus found in a thrift store toy bag. Hopefully the pictures help walk you through what I did. It is quite fast, but fun to watch roaring down the track...in the last pictures, you will note that I added small wipers that extend out about a 1/8" from the track wipers for more positive power pickup.

No comments: