Saturday, November 14, 2009

Original Ad Saturdays...


...Model Railroader magazine, October 1974.

Few things peaked my interest (or my avarice) in the ninth grade more than those classic PFM ads on the back of most MR magazines throughout the '60s, '70s and early '80s. And nothing turned my clock more than brass shays...

...except maybe a certain girl in Ms. Welker's Home Ec class...sigh...

Photobucket


BTW...I went to my 10th Reunion and saw that certain girl---there are NO regrets.

Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this. (Ecclesiastes 7:10)

3 comments:

Cristake1974 said...

Mmm... there's a lot of people in my Romania that say "the old times were better!" (and these "old times" are the 70s and the 80s, the communist party regim reign under the dictator Ceausescu). And they say this because it's a hard life here. But somebody on TV said one day a truth which, I think, fits with Ecclesiastes 7:10: "It's not that times themselves that made our lives better and brighter, but our YOUTH, full of energy and hopes..."

I have two pics for you, sir - and there's the only two railroad model sets existing in the 80s (HO scale, I think) (in the 70s or before i don't think was any kind of them)

http://www.latrecut.ro/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/trenulet-1.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/shaman76/DSC03786.jpg

Best regards! Chris

Br'er Shaygetz said...

Those pictures are great...I'd love to get hold of those sets. The second one screams with that high gloss paint. Thank you for the pictures.

Blessings, BC

Br'er Shaygetz said...

We're also guilty of looking back to the 70s and 80s as though they were the picture of innocence...gas lines, 21% mortgages, Disco...eeek.