Friday, August 12, 2011

Model railroading cartoons....


...have never been the best out there. For the most part, they just plain stink. They can be very sexist in a pre-PC ugly manner. They can be remarkably cruel...I think of the "Thumbz" series of cartoons in the NMRA Bulletin and how callous the other members of the portrayed club were in dealing with an inexperienced klutz. They tend to put the husbands and wives at extreme odds with each other, with lying and exchanges of sharp barbs. In short, they rarely are funny and, more often than not, if the editorial staff were thinking them through, would never see the light of day in a publication of any kind.

But every so often, someone gets it right, nobody is demeaned and it can even be understood by someone not in the hobby...Model Railroader magazine, April '62...

Photobucket


3 comments:

Cristake1974 said...

Hmm... "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!" Because I feel like the sexism is depending on the scale used!
Though there's extremely few women in this hobby, I did'n noticed any sexism in rail modelling on scale 1:1. As a matter of fact, when I was younger (teenager and after), was a real pleasure to see some young ladies inside the rail coach I was travelling!

Have a nice weekend, sir!

Br'er Shaygetz said...

"...the scale used..."

I remember two girls in the hobby, both of whom could hold their own with the guys in work and humor. In 1:1 scale, there were many, though I don't recall any that dressed quite as well as the young lady pictured. They kinda dressed like the plumbers I used to work with...

Jonathan E. Caswelkl said...

Yes, I am indeed saved by our Lord Jesus Christ. And a semi-reformed train enthusiast---the Lord's work comes first. Have taken the liberty of using this particular cartoon for one of my poems on ourpoetrycorner.wordpress.com. Come visit! I am my blogging partner don't only write about the Lord, but we often do. Great web site, here!