Thursday, November 3, 2011

N scale Arnold 0-8-8-0 Tenderlok BR-96 Mallet


Having wanted one for many years, I was pleased to have the opportunity to have one come my way...even if it was only to repair damaged running gear.

Pretty tight work for my beastly mitts---keep in mind that the drivers on this locomotive are just over a 1/4" in diameter and that rod is a half inch long with a 1/16" hole to line up with a 1/32" hole.

Photobucket

A beautifully detailed locomotive and an excellent runner, its one shortcoming appears to be the egg shaped eccentric. Unlike the rest of the rod work, it is made of plastic and appears to crack, but only enough to pop the rivet out under stress. Because the rivet is peened, it simply snaps back in...albeit with the aid of high powered magnifiers and a jeweler's needlenose pliers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I wish I could have taken better pictures but I simply don't like to take chances with such models in my house. Though 30+ years old, they still command a premium price, usually $200-250 easily. They came in four colors, each a representation of an actual color used on the Bavarian Railways at the time: black, blue, green and tan and all with the colorful red running gear.

So, like some "catch and release" fishing trophy, one more picture before I sent it back to its owner.

Photobucket


...sigh...

No comments: