Friday, January 4, 2008

A study in F units...


Earlier this year I pondered why no F units were in my roster. My earliest memories of real trains include a covered wagon pulling a short freight through a suburb of Baltimore, wearing Beano basic blue and yellow, so you would think I'd have at least one. Within a short time, a friend gave me the Pennsy unit, picked up in their yard sale wanderings with a couple of other pieces. Then, a resident skipped out on their lease, leaving me a treasure trove of early 80s Tyco, Life-Like and Bachmann pieces that included the Chessie and Santa Fe "War Bonnet" units. It is interesting to note the many subtle variations in details, especially around the number boards and headlights.


Photobucket

Tyco Red Box F9 circa early 1960s...

Photobucket

Life-Like blue box F7 circa early 1980s...

Photobucket

Bachmann chrome FT circa early 1980s...

No comments: