Tuesday, April 6, 2010

1" scale 2 cylinder vertical steam engine...Part II


Been giving it a rub down and lube, it was coated with a varnish like goo that was pretty tough to remove. I also relocated the lubricator so that it was more inboard and tighter to the engine. I think it looks better that way, the only trade off I see is that it places the drain cock over the fly wheel, but that isn't a big thing and can be remedied by placing a rag over the flywheel when draining it. I'm really anxious to hook this up to my compressor and see it running...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The lack of a center bearing on the crankshaft limits this to a display type motor, it doesn't appear to be designed to take the load of a passenger behind a model built with this. Being primarily a marine engine design, a boat built with this would be too impractical for me to have around the house or to work up the desire/time to commit to such a project. I'll be content to mount it on a piece of granite that I have, it will still make quite a showpiece that way.

No comments: