Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Backdating" DCC installs...


...---or---, how I got my head out of the clouds and back to reality.

I installed DCC chips into a lot of my motive power when I was a member of a club. When that membership had to end, I had half my fleet unable to run in my DC equipped layout. DCC is a great innovation in the hobby but the two systems really don't work well as crossovers. Those familiar with the "Double Ot Dance" know exactly what I'm talking about. This left me pining for the day when; 1. I got a new neighbor who'd be more than happy to let some wild eyed evangelical run his train on their layout or, 2. I'd bone up for a new or used system and install it on a very small testbed loop of track, all the while trying to justify the expense.

In short, I was on a fast track to the suburb of Malcontent, a place where nothing gets done because all of its citizens put their hands to the plow and continually look back. So, for my spiritual well being, a decoder pulling festival unto the Lord was in order. Most of my decoders were Digitrax or Lenz and they both use a 9 pin socket that can easily be jumped for DC running without undoing all the hard work it takes to isolate motors in older units. This way, should the future hold a Digitrax Super Empire Builder setup sitting next to a dumpster, waiting for me to rescue it, I'll be able to easily reinstall decoders in my locomotives.

I began by bending a length of .015" brass rod into a 1/8" U shape. I then soldered a length of the same brass rod into the center, making an elongated upper case "E". Once cool, I clipped the ends clean with a pair of flush cutting nippers. Then it was a simple matter of pushing them into the sockets, connecting the black/gray/yellow and the red/orange/blue wires. The yellow is for the front headlight and the blue is its common. The red/orange, black/gray wires are the motor/track supply leads. I then wrap the whole smack in a wrap or two of electrical tape and I'm off to the test track.

Photobucket


The only drawback I've seen thus far is the LEDs I installed in some locos are not lighting properly. I figure this is a polarity issue that I can resolve later. The blessing is that my fleet of shelf queens is finally getting a workout after 2 years of idling under glass.

No comments: