Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tyco GP-20 kitbash, Part II...


I found from Colin in the Netherlands that Life-Like offered one in their Proto 2000 series, along with Walther's. An interesting note is that P2K locos are usually equipped with Athearn drive parts, making this a less than original idea.

The frame is cut and reassembled. At this point I hard wired the motor, one of the most basic modifications one can do to improve the performance of Athearn Blue Box locomotives.

...before...

Photobucket

...after...

Photobucket

I then filled in the front and rear pilots and built up coupler mounting pads to take Kadee #5 couplers. I modified their draft gear by filing off the backs of the boxes to the spring to help make clearance for the trucks. I also installed stops for the body shell. I hope to figure out a way to screw mount the shell, it fits snug but I'm still unable to lift it from the track by anything but the fuel tank.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The rear only needed a few bits trimmed flat for the drive to sit even...

Photobucket

Here it is, assembled and ready to go...

Photobucket


As I figured, it pulls like an ox and runs even with my Atlas GP-40, making for a good mu'ed pair pulling long trains at shows. At this point, I'll be pulling back as I haven't decided the next course of action. I still need one handrail and I'm pondering just how detailed I'd like to go---grabs, lift rings and all or, a simple touch up and run it as a "stock" Tyco sleeper? I still have to come up with paint matches as well. Time will tell, until then, I'll be running it as is just to enjoy the sight.

No comments: