Saturday, December 13, 2008

Campbell Scale Models #382 HO scale Country Barn


Two years ago I had a massive selloff of many items I had acquired that would have made for a great layout. A large roundhouse, 2 turntables, a carshop, all manner of wood craftsman kits, etc... Why? I had to make a conscious decision as to where this hobby was taking me, how much time I had to spare for it and what I'd have to surrender to pursue it to that level I enjoyed at the time.

The price of a layout is more than just dollars, it's time away from other things like one's children, one's spouse, one's other family and friends, the list goes long but, you get the idea. In my case, I had to add to that a weekly Bible study where the input demands of my listeners go beyond that of most seminaries. They simply will not settle for---nor will I give in to---spiritual one verse Twinkie fests with all the intellectual depth of a fortune cookie. I had to make a choice and the layout lost.

As I was gleefully Ebaying my HO largesse to the four winds, I came upon this one kit that I just couldn't part with. I won it in a Secret Santa game. Campbell's kits were the best to me when I was an eighth grader starting out in this hobby and they've never lost their luster over the years. The smell of aged basswood beats the finest incenses of the world, I simply couldn't let it go...

Photobucket


"Well then why ain't it finished?"

Weeeelll...I'm currently caught up in what's going on around me...

Photobucket


...and that certainly can't be a bad thing when you're watching it with your beloved and two children at your side.

When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

No comments: