Thursday, December 11, 2008

The traveling Christmas layout saga...


Today was my first attempt at setting up my layout for an audience. I found that it requires more logistics than I imagined, a small trailer falling out of the sky before my next attempt would be a good start. There are quite a number of small elements I didn't take into account---extension cords, for instance.

Photobucket


Sadly, one thing I'll have to provide for is a blatant lack of respect for another's property. The vast majority of my little audience felt it necessary to dance their fingers across the roofs of passing cars---or---leaving their fingers in the train's path 'til the last second, both of which made for three bad derailments. I really would have liked to hand the throttle over to more kids but, alas, it was not to be.

My memory may be foggy but I seem to remember when I was a kid being left with the impression that I would draw back a bloody stump should I feel so inclined to pull a similar stunt with someone's trains. A hat tip to the parents of my better audience members, among them two 4-year-olds, Jason and Riley, who respectfully kept their hands at their sides until offered the throttle. Another bright spot, a severely autistic boy who was just enraptured---completely oblivious of Santa. Don't worry dad, I knew his was just a bit wowed when he sent my pig train to the cinders.

Photobucket


All in all, it was a fine first time out, I just have to take man's fallen nature more into account next time around...and an extra extension cord.

No comments: