Monday, March 19, 2012

Krick Model 2 two cylinder marine steam engine...Part III, soldering the boiler...



Going...

Photobucket

...going...

Photobucket

...going...

Photobucket

...done.

Photobucket

I've always been one to over solder...you'd think after the hundreds of brazes and solders I've done in the trades over the years, I'd have it down.

This had me as nervous as a school girl, the finish being a prime point on these things. Some like them ratty, others like them with a good patina and still others like them sparkling bright. I wanted this one bright brass and a good soldering job is key. Fortunately, I was able to clean it up enough to be presentable. I did tin each side first, the next time, I'll have some steel wool to brush up the excess while still molten.

I use a polishing paste called Maas, I wish I had it in Army basic training, the stuff is a beast on tarnished metal. Unlike Brasso, it took very little effort to get to this level of polish. There actually is a difference in the finished tone of the metal between the two polishes, enough that I had to go back and redo what I had already polished. The Brasso finished with a copper tone, the Maaz more gold.

All in all, I don't feel too bad for a first time job on a model boiler.

No comments: