Tuesday, May 27, 2008

AHM/Rivarossi HO scale 4-8-8-4 Union Pacific "Big Boy"...


...my "Rod of Correction". You would think that, with less than $60 invested in the previous two articulateds, that I would simply trust the Lord to bring one of these Big Boys along---if He so desired---and at a price comparable to what I've paid before. Nope. $125, a nasty banging around in the box it was shipped it, the revelation that it was parted together from several different models over the years and a year and a half of part hunting had me place the "Lord" back into the Lord Jesus once and for all in this hobby.

This is not to say that doling out $25 Big Boys is a demand we can place on God nor is it to say that fulfilling my hobby desires are at His beck and call. The verse goes..."If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Yes, it turned out beautifully but, my goal is to be conformed to His Image...that He allows me to piddle with some of the toys of this world shouldn't even move the needle on my priority meter.

Photobucket

Photobucket

...from the December '66 Model Railroader magazine ad.



1 comment:

Marcian said...

A good reminder as I've received chastisement from more than one investment in a hobby. It was not the money as much as the heart attitude of control that was not looked well upon. It's never the activity that is a sin, but the heart with which I undertake it.

I am still struggling with how to use my hobby as a storm enthusiast to be a light. I sure don't feel strong enough to do that. I would much rather walk away from the hobby and just stick with my regular 9-5 job than trifle with grace, if that makes sense.