Monday, May 26, 2008

AHM/Rivarossi HO scale Southern Pacific 4-8-8-2 Cab-forward...


I purchased it at a swap meet for $25 because it "had a hitch in it" that the original owner couldn't resolve. I brought it home to find that its boiler weight was warped from zinc pest. I broke the weight into 3 pieces, then glued them back straight with JB Weld. After some filing and fitting, I installed DCC and added weight over the drivers. It regularly pulls about 25 cars up a 1.75% grade very well.

Photobucket


4 comments:

Unknown said...

PLEASE give your Southern Pacific AC-12 the weathering and extra detail that your big boy received.

I have temporarily posted photos of real weathered AC-11/AC-12 and an AC-5 for reference for you here: http://modelrailroading.wordpress.com/about-2/

Please save these photos to your pictures folder on your computer and add the necessary number boards, detail paint, and coat of weathering this magnificent model deserves. :)

Br'er Shaygetz said...

I appreciate the kind words. Thank you for the links, they will be helpful when I do weather it. This summer I plan on doing it and the Y6b when I take a well needed vacation.

Blessings, BC

Unknown said...

I have a 60s Rivarossi Southern Pacific Engine, that is grey and red, I was told that there were only 1100 made, do you know anything about them?
Please and thank you.

Br'er Shaygetz said...

John, that sounds like a unique locomotive. I will contact my sources and get back with you. My guess right off if there are so many would be some type of special issue made for an anniversary of some sort. 1100 sounds like an awful lot for that though. Do you have a Photobucket account with which you could post pictures?

Blessings, BC