Thursday, July 1, 2010

Model Power/Mantua Classics HO scale Southern Pacific 2-6-6-2 Mallet, Epilogue.


Photobucket

...moment of silence please...

I find it interesting that, in all the retooling of the mechanism, Model Power retained the original lighting arrangement with all the exposed wiring, both on the front and rear headlight,---even amplifying it somewhat with shrink tubing---something that hasn't really been acceptable on a model since the 1960s...

Photobucket

My one guess would be that they wanted to retain the charm of the original and simply upgrade the mechanism to today's DCC demands. That is something I can live with as I've always wanted one and it is a very smooth, albeit very fast, mechanism with a flywheel and flat can motor. I can remember even as a teenager wondering why Mantua never made a real effort at hiding the wires.

I've since corrected the broken air reservoir tank piping, just between the two engines---but---can you find my other mistake?

HINT: When photographing a subject, one must ensure that said subject is correctly posed...

2 comments:

Cristake1974 said...

The mistake... could it be the placement of the beacon? At least, so it says http://jonmdavis.com/2d_drawings/2d_drawings.htm
Yet I guess there might be some different variants of production (or something about American railway companies), not to mention that I am not quite an Einstein of steam locomotives... :D

Br'er Shaygetz said...

If you look at the front engine, you'll see that one of the drivers is off the rails---something I look for in every modeling magazine---you'd be surprised at how common the mistake is--- and try to avoid in my own pictures.