Saturday, August 30, 2008

Athearn HO scale Southern Pacific "'84 LA Games" SD40-2 dummy


I got the handrails installed while watching ESU send VT packing. I like Athearn handrails alot for their durability but, they can be a bit difficult to install. If they are not a good snug fit, I do one of two things.

---For overly loose parts, I use a bit of Loc-tite Super Glue Gel Control in the end of the part before I insert it.

---For tight fits, rather than force it, I use a heated 25w pencil soldering iron to heat up the end and slowly push it into the plastic. This has the added advantage of a firm grip after the plastic cools. The great disadvantage is that you can slip and ding the body shell with the hot point. Yes, I have done it and no, it is not a pretty sight seeing a 48 year old man go fetal and start sucking his thumb.

Once finished, I brush a drop of regular Crazy Glue to the end of each stantian to keep them perpendicular to the rails and footboards. No, mine are not all straight. Yes, I ran out of glue after I started this project.

Photobucket


No comments: