Thursday, September 11, 2008

My proposed Amtrak 9/11 commemorative GG1 in HO scale...


September 11, 2001 for me was the fourth day of a long overdue vacation after starting to get back on my feet again. Not long before I lost my pastorate and my home. What was left was being paid off monthly at 13.9% interest to the IRS. I woke up late that morning and stumbled into the living room, turning on the TV just about the time the second plane was hitting the towers.

I've never forgotten how it felt that day, especially being the son and brother of firemen and the nephew of a police officer. On the fifth anniversary, I took the artwork that they came up with and placed it on the side of a GG1 painted as though Amtrak was still running them on the Northeast Corridor. I've often wondered what it would look like fleshed out and look forward to the day when I could have it done to one of mine.

It features the faces of two bald eagles facing fore and aft as a picture of vigilance as well as the three patches, one for the fireman, one for the police and Port Authority and one for the the event itself. The running gear would be black.

Photobucket

Photobucket


No comments: