Friday, September 19, 2008

Soviet Serkisof Demiryolu (Railway) pocket watch...


One of the interesting benefits of my work is the relationships I develop over the years with long term residents. When the older women find out I like model trains, well, let's just say I get some pretty intriguing items as thank you gifts. This one came to me today. I don't know much about it except that it's Soviet era, "Made in U.S.S.R." being printed on the face. The locomotive has surprising detail for its age and usage. I know they manufactured one HO scale train set in the Soviet Union (I will find one someday). Any further information would be greatly appreciated. It will be a treasured prayer reminder for my brethren in Russia.

UPDATE: From a reader;

This watch was made for export to Turkey.

"Demiryolu" means "railroad"/"railway" in Turkish.

The capital "i" in Serkisof and Demiryolu is dotted, because this is a letter in the Turkish alphabet.


Thank you very much, now I have a treasured prayer reminder for Russia AND Turkey.

Photobucket

Photobucket


1 comment:

Old School said...

This watch was made for export to Turkey.

"Demiryolu" menas "railroad"/"railway" in Turkish.

The capital "i" in Serkisof and Demiryolu is dotted, because this is a letter in the Turkish alphabet