Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mamod TE1a...again...


As I reached for my tractor to pose it for last week's photo,it dawned on me that it has sat unfired for over two years. Since one of our family friends was having their last civilian home cooked meal before going off to play in the big sandbox for the next few months, I fired it up for them last night.

Almost immediately, the smell of the burning alcohol and hot lube oil filled the air and I got drawn into the mystique that attracts those who enjoy these little machines for a hobby. The hearty staccato of the piston as it sent the flywheel whirling about, the vortex of steam rising from the stack, the heat radiating from all over...it was a good night, the kids were thrilled, our friend thinks I'm a couple french fries short of a Happy Meal, and all topped off with my beloved's meatloaf and mustard greens.***



Photobucket

...still at 200+ degrees, searing oil and hissing vapors...sweet.



***Oh, yeah...if I had any Yankee in me when I moved down here, it disappeared after those first plates of collards and mustard greens. Come on over the house for some raccoon next week...

No comments: